Sunday, March 15, 2009

Something Easy for the Night

I wasn't feeling super motivated today to cook up something from scratch today, so after some browsing some vegan blogs I found a real easy one from Crazy Vegan Mom for a grilled "cheese" and tomato sandwich and decided to roast up some brussel sprouts for a side. I added some tempeh bacon and spinach to our sandwiches to add a little more flavor. It turned out to be really good and hit the spot!

I just recently started eating brussel sprouts as I was a bit traumatized as a kid by the flavor of them and was not allowed to leave the dinner table until I was done eating. I've been reading a lot about them and their health benefits recently, so I've decided to give them another shot. I'm glad I gave them another chance because they turned out to be quite yummy when prepared the right way! Here are the recipes for the easy meal:

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich:

Ingredients:

4 slices of Wheat Bread
Tofutti Cream Cheese (I used Herbs and Chives)
1 large tomato, sliced
2 handfuls of fresh spinach
6 strips of tempeh bacon (or Smart Bacon)
Smart Balance margarine (or other comparable vegan margarine)
Sea salt
Cracked black pepper

Spread cream cheese inside one slice of bread, add 2 slices of tomato, 3 strip of tempeh bacon, a handful of spinach, and sprinkle with however much you like of salt and pepper. Add the other slice of bread and butter the outsides then place on a skillet on medium-high heat. Let each side get to a nice golden brown then they should be perfect.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Brussel Sprouts
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbls. Nutritional Yeast
Sea salt (as much as you desire)
Cracked black pepper (as much as you like)
1 Tbls. Herbes de provence
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl combine all ingredients then spread out on a baking sheet. Place in oven for 35 min. or until brown and crispy on the outside. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment