Monday, March 16, 2009

Macaroni and "Cheese"

Yawn! I don't know what it was about today, but everyone at work (including me) seemed to be exhausted. I felt so drained and barely had any energy. All I can figure is it must have been the weather since it was kind of dark and dreary outside. Strange how our environment can have such an effect on our moods. Anyway, on my way out from work I picked up some macaroni and some tofu to make a pretty simple meal I found on Your Vegan Mom's blog. This will be the third time I've made this one in the last couple weeks, it's that good! The first time I made it in cupcake tins like she did, but since we don't have any kids I figured it'd be quicker to just put it in a casserole dish. Here are the results and the recipe:



Mac 'n Cheese Bites

1 1/2 c. elbow macaroni, boiled in salted water, and drained
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar (I used Follow Your Heart)
2 T. minced green onion

eggy mixture:

1 package firm silken tofu
1/4 c. soy milk
2 T. nutritional yeast
1 T. corn starch
1 T. butter (I used Smart Balance Light)
1/2 t. salt

Heat the oven to 375. Grease two muffin pans with cooking spray.

Whir all the ingredients for the eggy mixture in the blender or food processor until smooth.

In a large bowl stir together the macaroni, the grated cheese, the minced onion, and the eggy mixture. Spoon into the prepared muffin pans.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until the edges are nicely browned and the middle is firm.


When I got home I realized I forgot to buy green onions so I substituted them for a few cloves of garlic. It turned out to still be quite tasty! It also tastes really good with some organic ketchup. Mmmmm . . . Yum-o! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment